Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Career in finance sector?

I have attended 2 recruitment talks recently. Both talks are on banking, Citibank and Barclay Capitals. Now there is a trend of engineering graduates going into the finance and banking sector. So as expected, the talks managed to attract students from different schools (including Biological Sciences), resulting a full house in LT19A and MLT. (MLT is the biggest LT in NTU) So can you imagine how many students attending the talks?
*
People say engineering is boring, so they go for banking and management. Such a good reason. Why can't they just admit that they go for the PAY? Come on, this is a real world, so you need money to make the globe moving. That will be the only reason for me to give up my 4 years' engineering hardwork and jump into a totally new world. (Provided the pay must be at least 30% higher than the pay for engineering jobs)
*
Anyway, I am not really interested with the banks. I went to the talks for the purpose of gaining more knowledge on the sector. Frankly I am quite conservative. I feel scared to enter a new field without strong foundation. (Even though I have Minor in Business, I still do not know how to apply the knowledge). I always think the techinal knowledge is my competitive advantage, then why should I give it up?
*
So I want to be Engineer.

No comments: